The countdown is on for glasstec 2018! The Smart-Builder team are excited to be heading to Düsseldorf for our sixth glasstec in a row. After attending five shows, we've got a few tips and tricks up our sleeves for making the most of your time there. Let's start with where to stay and things to do in the beautiful host city of Düsseldorf.
Where to stay
The Smart-Builder team like staying a 5-10 minute walk from Altstadt (literally "old town"), the historical center of Düsseldorf and the place to be in the evenings and on weekends. With over 300 bars and restaurants, there is plenty to see, eat and drink!
That said, being at the center of the action comes with a price tag — hotels can be expensive in this area (and you may find the nighttime noise off-putting). To strike a balance, we recommend looking for a hotel that is 5-10 minutes walk from the center to get the best of both worlds.
Staying in the center means a 20 minute or so U-Bahn trip to get to Messe (the glasstec venue) but you can travel to and from the show for free with your glasstec ticket.
What to do
- Just walking around Altstadt is a great way to spend a couple of hours.
- The Rhine River flows through Düsseldorf and walking along the river, stopping at the riverside bars and restaurants, is a fantastic way to see the city.
- If you need to do some shopping, Schadowstrasse in downtown Düsseldorf is a great spot. There's a wide range of stores so you're bound to find what you're looking for.
- Another great shopping spot is Königsallee, a boulevard with a more high-end stores.
- Take a stroll through Hofgarten, a beautiful park on the banks of the Rhine.
- After dark there are endless options whether you want quiet drinks or a noisy party. For a nostalgic German bar experience, Dä Spiegel is a bit of a laugh!
We hope you'll find these recommendations helpful for glasstec 2018, Düsseldorf is a fantastic city and there's plenty to see. If you find a great spot while you're over there, let us know! We'll be at stand A53 in Hall 10 — look for the giant owl, you can't miss it!